Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My GAME Plan Revisited

Last week, I posted my GAME plan for incorporating technology into my music classroom. (Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P., 2009) Since doing this, it has been interesting to notice how I now look at my teaching through new eyes. With that in mind, here is what I have learned so far.

To summarize my game plan, my goal is to increase my competency level by 1) facilitating and inspiring student learning and creativity and 2) designing and developing digital-aged learning and assessments. (www.iste.org ) To do this, I need to evaluate my current teaching practices and determine how technology can be incorporated as well as take a technology inventory of the resources available to me and begin conferring with other middle school music teachers to learn how they incorporate technology.

Goal: To date, my goal has not changed. I still need to work towards improving my music lesson with technology and develop better assessment strategies.

Action: The majority of the work I have done towards accomplishing my game plan has been here. I have been able to take a technology inventory and while I have little technology to work with, at least I have a place to start. My students have access to two music programs; one program can be used only on two computers at a time and the other is on a mobile computer lab with 25 seat licenses. The best part is I am already familiar with both programs. My classroom is equipped with a Promethean Board and my school has a wealth of computer lab access.

The remaining parts of my action plan are in process. Evaluating my current curriculum is much harder than I expected. The problem still lies with my original concern; how to incorporate technology lessons that does not take away from rehearsal time? This has been harder than I expected. I have many great digital-age lesson ideas, but once again, rehearsal stops in order to have students complete the lesson. I’m still looking.

I did come across an internet based program while I was setting up an epals.com account. Another music teacher, whom I have contacted and yet to hear from, wanted to set up a collaborative project using a music composition software called Noteflight.(www.noteflight.com) Whether I hear from this teacher or not, the resource is a great one, it’s free and compatible with the notation software available to my students. While I have not been in touch with my fellow music teachers in my district, I was able to discover how technology can be used beyond what I already knew. At this point, that is a step in the right direction.

Monitor: I still plan to exchange at least one lesson with a digital-age lesson, however, the process is just that, in process.

Evaluate: To date, no changes have been made.

I am excited at the prospect of incorporating technology based lessons into my current curriculum. I think the key for me will be when I can find the balance between technology based learning in band and choir versus standard practice procedure.



Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

http://www.epals.com

http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

http://www.noteflight.com

2 comments:

Emily said...

Kerry,

Wow...sounds like you have a great start on achieving you goals. You have a GAME set and you are working towards completing it. I really like your idea of a collaborative project with another teacher. I am sure if everything goes as planned and hoped, your students will have an amazing time with this project. What an experience for them. I obviously have my own GAME plan in place, but this is one of my personal goals is to find a project that can be completed with another classroom outside of my school. Good Luck with your plan and I will be anxious to hear if you get a response from the other teacher or not and if you are able to go through with the project.

Kerry Seip said...

Thanks Emily! So far, I haven't heard from the other teachers which is too bad. I was really looking foward to this type of project. But I will not be detered! I will keep looking for this type of experience for my students.