Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Evaluating My GAME Plan Progress


Three weeks in and this is the progress my GAME plan has made.


How effective were your actions in helping you meet your goals?

My original goal was to increase my competency level on technology standards 1 and 2; Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity and design and develop digital-aged learning and assessment. To date, I will replace a lesson I taught last nine weeks in my piano lab class with a more digital-aged lesson. Instead of students performing a song from the book as their final, students will use any of the pre-programmed voices on their piano keyboard to ‘compose’ their own song. While this is not that much of a lesson, they will have to compose this song based on a video prompt. Essentially, they will be composing a soundtrack for a one and half minute video. Their songs and story narration will be recorded and compiled into a Movie Maker video. This video then will be uploaded to the music class web site I have created. So, I feel I am meeting my goal with a monitoring step that was part of my original GAME plan.

What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice?

I have learned that I don’t need a wall full of electronics and tech-toys to integrate technology into my lesson plans. Several of the suggestions given in chapter 16 of our course text, Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use, are tools and resources I already have. (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009) Add to that the free online resources I have recently discovered and I have a good base to work from. The strategies learned from this course, such as assessing diverse learners and problem-based lessons give framework to the tools I have to work with.

What do you still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?

I’m not sure about this question. I don’t feel like anything new has surfaced nor do I know what I still need to learn. I just need to kick in my own creative thinking skills to find new ways to incorporate the tools I now have for the variety of classes I teach on a daily basis.

How will you adjust your plan to fit your current needs?

I still feel like the only thing that needs to be adjusted from my original GAME plan would be the timeline to implement my plan. This will continue to be an ongoing, slow process and my desire to replace one lesson plan in each class with a digital-aged lesson plan by the end of the current nine weeks has proven to take much more time than expected. But at least I am moving in the right direction.


Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

1 comment:

Toni said...

I share your concerns about the GAME plan implementation being a slow and ongoing process. I think it is important to take it one step at a time, reflecting on each step and learning from it.
I feel that if I take it slow and spend more time on each piece, I can do a better job. I believe my plan will take a few years before I have it totally in place, but after that, I know I have to continue working on it to make it better.