Sunday, December 20, 2009

Frustrated in Colorado No Longer

My Final Reflection

When I developed my GAME plan for this course, I was a frustrated music teacher desperately wanting to integrate technology in my classroom and not sure how it was possible beyond the one simple computer game my students are currently using. I was convinced there was no easy answer.

My original goal was to increase my competency level on NETS-T standards 1 and 2; Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity and design and develop digital-aged learning and assessment. To monitor this goal, my intent was to replace at least one instructional practice with a technology based tool in each class by the end of the current nine weeks. While this was a lofty goal, it gave me a little kick to actually get going and find something, anything, that I could use in my music classroom.

How would I rate my GAME plan now? I didn’t meet my goal of replacing one teaching strategy with technology by the end of the nine weeks. But I did find a wealth of technology, most of it free or something I already possessed, that I can use. I also developed one digital-aged lesson that I successfully used in my piano lab.

The biggest thing I have learned is what I stated in my last blog post, that technology needs to enhance my instruction, not replace it. For example, I used my Zoom H2 digital recorder to let the beginning band hear the advanced band play their same songs and it raised the beginning bands desire to do better. In piano lab, we put away the book and I let my students be creative with their keyboards to develop a soundtrack for a simple one minute stick figure movie I created using Power Point and Movie Maker. The creativity they played with when they were bored found a place in a lesson. And finally, as a result of the content unit plan created over the last few weeks, my choir classes will research, collaborate and present their findings all in preparation to completely produce their final performance for the year. Enhancement, not replacement.

Technology is a powerful tool and when used wisely, students in the 21st century will get a 21st century education. As I sit at the beginning of a two week Christmas break, I am actually looking forward to next semester and many of the technology tools such as collaboration and digital storytelling, I can integrate into my instruction. I am frustrated no more! OK, maybe just a little, but at least I’m headed in the right direction now.


http://www.iste.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=NETS

2 comments:

Susanna Robertson said...

Your post reminds me of the proverb which states that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You are certainly taking those important first steps in reaching your goals. Being less frustrated is a wonderful thing as well! I wish you continued success in the classroom!

Julie B said...

hey kerri:
just got your message on my blog- wow- what a pleasant surprise! my email address is my name with a period between the 1st and last name @ gmail.

hope this helps- fee free to email me and I can send you my address!

hope you are doing well-your 2 little guys are beautiful!

julie