Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogs in my classroom

This last fall, I started a blog with my choir students. I posted all instructions on the web, including links to research sites and then asked students to post comments at the end of the class on how they did on the assignment. It was a good idea.

Needless to say, before it was all said and done, the whole thing came to a crashing halt. I can see now that we all lacked a little preparation. I plan to do better this time around.

First, I plan spend some time in my classroom going over cyber-etiquette. This is not widely taught, so it will be up to me, the music teacher, to get it taught to my students. I have wi-fi access in my room so I can use the Promethean board to access the web, our blog, etc. to teach my students how to properly navigate the page and act in cyberspace.

Second, I am currently using our blog as a bulletin board for concert information, post recordings and pictures of performances and even links I find interesting. I mentioned posting concert recordings on the blog to my students, they were unmoved. When I added to it that their audience would now be the world, "that's cool" mumblings rumbled through the room. Using the blog for snapshots of performances is a great way for family far away to see our performances. Also, as a teacher I like to see what other schools are doing. I follow two schools' blogs to see what they do in their classroom. These are examples of what I want for our blog to grow into. (See their blogs in the link section.)

Third, I hope to have our blog develop into an open forum for discussions. My original idea for the blog was to have a place for students to share their music history research findings. I would like this to grow back into that again.

For now, I'm going to keep it as the online "bulletin board" for music accomplishments, notices and work my way back to my original goal. Here is our blog if you would like to check it out.

http://pleasantviewmusic.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

The Stere Family said...

It sounds like you have a clear game plan in mind. I like your idea of sharing student performances because it is a great way for them to share with their family members who do not live close enough to see them perform in person. I agree that being able to view others' blogs is helpful for ideas and information as well. Good luck!

April Thompson said...

Here is a resource I found on one of the tech blogs I follow. I thought it might help you complete your plan a bit more easily!

Nine Themes of Digital Citizenship from http://www.kenton.k12.ky.us/internet_safety/default.htm
1. Digital Etiquette - electronic standards of conduct or procedure
2. Digital Communication - electronic exchange of information
3. Digital Literacy - process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology
4. Digital Access - full electronic participation in society
5. Digital Commerce - electronic buying and selling of goods
6. Digital Law - electronic responsibility for actions and deeds
7. Digital Rights & Responsibilities - those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world
8. Digital Health & Wellness - physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world
9. Digital Security (self-protection) - electronic precautions to guarantee safety.

Susanna Robertson said...

Your comments about cyber-etiquette are similar to what I call 'cyber-ethics'. There is no doubt that our students need instruction and guidance in the proper and safe usage of internet tools. If anyone is not convinced, all they have to do is check our their students' MySpace pages or videos they have uploaded to YouTube! By teaching your students about the appropriate use of the internet's power, you are preparing them for the world outside of school. As personal web pages on MySpace, Facebook, and other social networking sites become commonplace, our students need to understand that the feeling of anonymity they have when texting or blogging simply does not exist. We have already had one instance this year in which the parents of one student pressed charges against another student due to threatening messages on the internet. More serious cases appear on the news regularly. The internet is a very beneficial and powerful tool when used properly. "Used properly" is the key phrase.

Kerry Seip said...

April, Thank you for the link to the cyber-behavior. I will definatley be checking that out. Much to my frustration, technology is taught hit or miss in our school and internet safety is pretty much left to the technology elective class. If nothing else, I will know that my students have heard about how to act out on the web.
Thanks again!

deborah.thomas5 said...

I like the idea of having students blog to enhance their learning, especially in a music course, seems like an excellent idea. Communication through blog sites can create ideas and questions that engage the students in a whole different level of their education. The bulletin board idea you have provided will allow interaction to improve your students’ access to important information and accomplishments.

I am not that familiar with setting up blogs, but if your school system is like mine, there are far to many filters and blocks that keep students from accessing blog sites. Many students that have a computer at home, also have parental blocks, so this gives them an excuse to not access the site.

Also, everyone in education needs to address the problem of “Cyber-etiquette” so our students will know how to appropriately blog and use technology without offending others or creating difficult situations. We have had several instances in our district where teachers or students have been “cyber-assaulted” by students who figured out a way to use information that was posted on other sites.