Wednesday, January 28, 2009

21st Century Skills.org - My thoughts

In 2003 I took a class presented by Intel on technology in the classroom. The skills we learned were building web sites, creating power points, creative uses for publisher programs and how to use these programs to teach students. At one point I was queen bee of the class because I found and downloaded a simple audio clip from the internet to accompany a presentation I created in power point. Today, it seems archaic. A simple search on YouTube produces far more complicated and creative videos that kids create in their spare time than we, at the time, ever thought possible outside of Hollywood. And yet, just a few years later, it's all commonplace.

That is the world our students "play" in. Our students are master web builders, movie makers and online travelers. Why is it that they can play with and master such technology but at school they still go to the library to research possible job opportunities from outdated books? As strange as it may sound, Education is slow to learn.

The web site http://www.21stcenturyskills.org is dedicated to seeing the students of today learn the skills they need to succeed tomorrow. Of course, that has been the job of public education from the beginning. But today’s education system is falling behind. This web site is packed full of information on what 21st century skills students need to enter the workforce in the future. I liked the many links to other school districts and industries that are working to improve learning for our students, but found it difficult to gain any real information.

I felt much of the information was just scratching the surface. The site suggests concepts and then links to another site that also speaks in concepts, which then links to another site and so on. I’m a give-me-the-facts person. Give me an idea on “how” to apply “Principle 4: The library media program models and promotes creative, effective, and collaborative teaching.” from the America Association of School Librarians web site and their attempt at promoting the 21st century skill “Information Literacy.” (http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslproftools/informationpower/iplearningteaching.cfm) I know this site is to “…Serve as a catalyst…” (http://www.21stcenturyskills.org ) for 21st century skills. But it feels more like a report on research findings. Maybe I didn’t look deep enough.

It is important to teach our students these skills, now help me know how.


http://www.21stcenturyskills.org
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslproftools/informationpower/iplearningteaching.cfm

2 comments:

April Thompson said...

Hi Kerri,
I too found it disappointing that links led to other links, or like I found in one case, linked to a blank page! It would be very helpful to just 'give the facts' as you said. However, what would be the point for states to join the initiative? I imagine that states that participate are probably given further information because of their involvement. What do you think? I wish we had a group member from a participating state so we would have a better idea of what exactly goes on.

deborah.thomas5 said...

Hey Kerry,
I guess knowing how to teach our students all of these skills is the question we all need an answer to.

I found there was a lot of good information on the site but as I looked over the information, I was unhappy to see that there were so few states listed as participants and that the partnership was established in 2002.

That’s more that 6 years ago and my state (Georgia) is not listed. It should not be a surprise that our nation is being outperformed by foreign countries. All 50 states need to work together so our students will be able to compete globally in the 21st century.