Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Podcast idea revamped - a better idea

I was thinking just today how my original podcast idea could be improved. Originally I thought about my students researching an artist of their choosing. OK, it was a nice idea, but had nothing to do with anything other than getting them to create a podcast in a way they might care about. But today, I got a better idea.

My choir students are starting to learn a new set of music. It is all folk music from around the world. The last two days the choir has been listening to a Kennedy Center podcast (The Kitchen Sink podcast via iTunes)about the endangered music of the Yunnan Province in China. I prepped the podcast by asking my students to think about all the music and stories that have died throughout history simply because there was no one left who knew the words. Then I asked them to think about that crazy Aunt Susie or Grandpa Joe who always tells the same stories when they come to visit. We talked about how folk music and stories were an oral tradition. When their crazy Aunt Susie tells a story, it is a tradition that is as old as mankind. I wanted to know it was important that they remember the stories, even if they thought there were dumb or unimportant. I then challenged them to listen closer, write down or record these stories because the day will come when Grandpa Joe is gone and his stories will be gone too. I challenged them to remember because they will be helping to preserve their culture and their history.

So, here is my idea. I think it would be a great idea to have my students interview their "Great Aunt Susie" about songs their parents used to sing to them or the music of their childhood. From there, interviews could be developed into podcasts and so on.

The best part, their podcasts can be incorporated into the final concert performance. You know, along the lines of any Ken Burns documentary; commentary from real people intermixed with music and facts.

Oooo, I'm liking this idea more and more.

No comments: